Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Perfect In Between

So I was planning on moving to victoria on July 1st, when my accident cut that plan short.

Since then, I've had mixed feelings about the move being put on hold. On the upside, I really enjoy my summers with my friends, and being in Nanaimo for July has been great so far. The downside is the procrastination. I feel like putting something off easily perpetuates itself, and I was afraid that putting off a move would happen a 2nd time. Not today though.

I got the call earlier, and my application for tenancy has been approved in Victoria for Sept 1st. So I'm actually going to do this. I like it.

Until then, I have some things to take care of. I need a job there. Going there without a solid plan provided the glamour behind planning the move, but the reality is weeks away. I need to have a job by Sept 1st. Since I moved July 1st, most of my stuff is still packed, and the move should be basic.

That's that. I feel really great today. I had a tough time struggling with the thought of pushing the moving date back again. I felt like I needed to prove to myself that I can do this. Now a deposit is paid, the unit is ready, and all I have to do is order a moving truck.

July has been as eventful as June was uneventful. After relaxing/healing for most of June, I've unconsciously started to fit 2 months worth of summer into July. I got a prosthetic eye built and put in, however it doesn't fit or look right. My second prosthetic will go in this week. It's a removable prosthetic that I'll need to take out and clean every week. I feel like a new person with my new eye. I haven't been showing it off like crazy because it doesn't look quite right, but inside I'm very excited.

Getting my prosthetic eye is the end of my eye saga. I feel constantly confused still. Mentally, I kept thinking that when a new eye would go in, I'd be able to see again. It's like when you cut your knee: when the bandage comes off and you can't see the cut, everything is normal again and it was like nothing happened. Everything looks normal again. But I still see only half as well. I often wake up wondering why I can't see properly. Every time I put on sunglasses, use binoculars, or look into/through anything, I have to remember why things don't look right.

I remember talking earlier in the year on my blog, discussing my amazing looking spring and summer. Things were turned upside down, but have nonetheless been fantastic. I really enjoyed being best man at Blake's wedding - it was the time of my life, and hopefully Blake's too. The minor parts to my summer - lake/river days, poker nights, hikes and swims - have filled in the gaps of my last month. I met someone who has lived for 10 years in Ontario, and was seeing BC for the 1st time. He said, 'Now I know what it feels like to be Canadian'. I guess people from Ontario see the same Molson Canadian commercials, but don't have the mountains or oceans to relate to. I dunno, it's pretty sweet to spend your summer on Vancouver Island.

I could really go on and on, but I've said enough. The next weeks are going to be similar to the last ones, with some exciting job hunting as well.

Thanks for reading.

'Some men like to hear, to hear the cannonball a' roaring
Me? I like sleeping'


No comments: