Friday, September 10, 2010

Sideways

In Victoria.

In Victoria.

Nice to have a mantra other than 'move to victoria'.

I moved to Victoria on September 1st. I can't remember when I first started talking about moving here, but I did it, and it took long enough to get here. I feel at home finally, after driving to Victoria many many times during August, looking for work and a place to live. I found both in August, even if both are temporary. I'm living in Central Saanich at the gateway to both downtown and the University of Victoria. I'm working at Starbucks #4986 or something. It's the Torquay Village one, if you wind up looking. I kind of feel like a number working there. I guess in reality I am. 1718130. It's a job though, and I spent most of Aug. 15-31 working in Victoria, and living in Nanaimo.

Driving the 26' U-haul moving truck the 100 miles or whatever was actually really stressful, and that's the only point worth mentioning about an otherwise successful move.

I had my Birthday on the 5th, and I spent the day catching a bus home (haha, 'home') to Nanaimo to spend the day with Jen and my Family. It was a pretty low key 26th, maybe more than I would have liked. But I spent my day with the people I wanted to be with, and I haven't had that every birthday. I don't take things like that for granted.

The reality is, I haven't really worked this summer, and while my stamina feels like it's back to capacity, working close to full time has really drained me for the last few weeks. It's exciting to be in a new routine in a new city, and maybe that in itself is tiring at first. I bike a hilly 3-4km's to work and back every shift, and twice a week I go to soccer and coach my team.

Oh yeah. I haven't posted on here much this summer, but one of the most important things I set up during July/August here in Vic was getting myself a soccer team to coach. I found a spot coaching a u21 team at Lakehill Football Club, and it's only 1km from my apartment. It puts some leisure type structure into my week, and it's super cool to coach kids.

My new eye is about the same. Maybe I didn't post on here when I got my final prosthetic. I don't remember. It was tight when I got it, and I still have tight days. I have dry days, itchy days, tight days - days where I really wish I had two eyes that worked. But I suppose there's progress, days when I rub my eyes in the morning, and spend the day forgetting all about having only one eye.

Those are the best days, and it was a real revelation to discover that I was forgetting I only had 1 eye. It's hard to describe I guess. After moving/biking/working in the last 10 days, I've really noticed the way I plan around my eye. Maybe that gets better, but for now settling into a routine helps me forget, and get better at those tasks I had to initially plan around.

Last thing. I've dealt with friends moving away before, but I haven't myself had a major move like this before. It's like all my friends moved away. They aren't far I guess. I just miss being able to get out and see friends after work or whatever.

Thanks for reading.

'Every time I look in the mirror
All these lines in my face getting clearer'

1 comment:

Toph said...

I know the feeling. I didn't really notice that everyone was so far away until a month or two, once I got used to the initial shock of a new place. You'll get used to it, especially as you meet new people.

That's totally wicked about the soccer team. Those kids are gonna be a SICK team!