Friday, February 10, 2012

Blue Jeans

Hey guys

I'm gonna jump right in. I am updating on here for the first time this year, and I plan to hopefully start updating more often again.

This week I've been thinking lots about professional development, and I'm starting to put a few different things in motion. For starters, I'm making my online profile(s) a little more professional. I'm starting to expand to more social networks (google+, linkedin) in an attempt to recreate myself in a unified, professional way. I'm really hoping that some serious attention and effort online can help me network with new people in various areas to help myself toward a career. Kind of a strange undertaking for me. Well, not strange. I haven't really dipped into the world of networking very much, and it's obviously a really strong tool. So it feels kind of clunky, trying to get myself into a new frame of mind.

I spent some time with my pal Matt recently, and he's working with me on this little project. Matt is a seriously successful networker, and has a strong online reputation. He has found great jobs through online networking, and he's been gracious enough to share some of his secrets.

I'm looking to break into Victoria's health, recreation, and/or fitness sector, and I appear to have been doing it wrong for the past 18 months. Well, I'm still working at Starbucks. So I would say it DEFINITELY appears as if I could try something new.

I'm also interested in a couple lifestyle changes. I mean, I figure if I want to get serious about health and fitness, why not stop eating so poorly, and get outside a little more. That might look a little more obvious on this page than it is in real life. Not that I'm a big slug. I also think that networking with new people in these areas will assist with me getting out more, and vice versa - getting out more might also expand my network.

I have a couple of really good head starts on this project. First, I studied and immersed myself in health, recreation, and fitness during University. Which wasn't THAT long ago. I'm no stranger when it comes to understanding healthier living. Also, I have a great friend in Matt, who not only has great tools/tips for expanding my network, but he also has a passion in recreation and health. I also have Jen, who works at a gym, and Blake, who is a great motivator in the drive to stay consistently active. Weirdly enough, the recent expiry of my Xbox live membership is also a solid catalyst. I have too much screen time per week, and I don't plan on renewing my membership.

So off I go. I want to set a few goals. I think an important one is to get employment in my area(s) of interest, but I want to try to set some other realistic, achievable goals that I can crush along the way.

I'm gonna go do it.

Thanks for reading.

- Mike

'Quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock'

No comments: