Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Gold on the Ceiling

Okay, so.

Do you ever struggle with change? I do, and I have a few observations. Sometimes, when change is necessary, or inevitable (or both), one will wait until the change becomes absolutely crucial. The time passes when change is optional, and it becomes forced. Like writing a paper the night before, or packing up the day before moving day. Does this make sense? Do people still do this after they finish University?

I feel like I'm trying to wrap myself around improving this skill (or fault?). I'm interested in seeing the change that needs to happen, and making continual progress. That's the key for me I think, the "continual progress". Like if you pick up an empty box every few days, you can bring it home and pack it, instead of leaving a mountain of packing to do right before moving day. Follow me? In the past, it's been hard for me to go ahead and tackle something big until it hits that crucial point. Breaking something down into small pieces, and crushing them one at a time until something big is done has never been a strength of mine.

I want it to be. I'm trying to up that part of my game. Do you have any suggestions?

I feel like in the last 6 months, I've been getting better, and I feel like I've really turned a corner in the last week. Specifically, I need to find a job. I'm nowhere near a critical point where change is necessary from a fiscal standpoint, where I have to make a move. Maybe that moment won't come, and that's why I'm not waiting for it anymore. I used to wait.

Anyway, I've broken down this change into a bunch of pieces, now all I have to do is check them off this list.

1. Improve my resume. It's been far too long, and it's not professional enough.
2. Broaden my network. In person, online, etc.
3. Get the word out that my skills are essential to people. I have to re-learn how to sell myself.
4. Apply.
5. Find out what skills I need, and get them. i.e. First aid, Non-violent Crisis Intervention, Fitness Theory.
6. Get 'dream' job.

It may seem strange
How we used to wait for letters to arrive

No comments: