Monday, May 25, 2009

Pride

I've been reading a little bit about pride. It's a funny thing in my opinion. It's really strange actually.

It's either a virtue, or a sin. It's heavily written about, for a long time, and they still can't figure out if it's a good thing or not.

I have an opinion on pride that I want to share. First I want to explain myself, instead of just digging a hole. I am not overly (or overtly) proud at all. And that isn't selling myself short. Sure, everyone does things of magnitude. But I'm not super proud of my appearance or my abilities (whatever that means). I'm also not a person of low self esteem - I prefer humility.

My opinion is that too many people who let their pride flow freely tend to cross the line into arrogance. Take the hockey playoffs. I was so embarrassed when the canucks lost. Not because they lost, but because people I know are so arrogant. I'm embarrassed to be around people who act arrogant. More so when they don't realize it.

Back tracking a little bit, I understand the grey area that pride and arrogance creates. I didn't grow up naturally confident, but at 24, I'm fairly confident in what I do. But I'm on the good side of the line. I don't demand respect from people like arrogant people do. I also don't give respect to everyone automatically, but that isn't the same (in my opinion).

I think a problem I may have is that people see pride as an important trait to have. That really isn't logical to me. I think the most ironic form of pride I've ever seen was in my former soccer coach. He was far too proud of German soccer, and proud of Germany in general. Ironic because of Germany's views on pride.

I'm not going to get on any friends for ever being arrogant. That's not really my business, unless it becomes my business.

Bedtime. I had to think too hard to write that. It took like two hours.

No comments: