Thursday, April 30, 2009

Still On My Brain

I have a board game for you.

It's a good one, but it's pretty tough. I've played around 2,500 games over like 15 years, probably more than 95% of people. But I'm really not so good at it. I think maybe I just don't get it. I get the rules and stuff, but it's not really like monopoly where you go the same way around the board every time. It's like monopoly with no directions, and only jail and free parking. Good move and it's free parking, bad and you're in jail. No chance or ventnor.

Anyway, I'm trying really hard to figure it out. And the problem is that I find it to be a really good judge of general intellect. Well, that isn't the problem. The problem is that I kind of suck, and it kind of means that I'm not really that smart. I mean, after 25 hundred games I should almost have it.

The game rewards or punishes the use of the 2 things:
  • Observation and evaluation skills
  • Making long and short term decisions
After a lifetime of playing sports with people who 'will never be good' - you know the ones I mean (I'm not trying to be a prick) - I'm one of those people now! I've read books, watched documentaries, and spent a life playing this awesome game. And I'm not giving up! I'm just really jealous of people who 'get it', and I wish I could.

So yeah. You go try it, and get good. I'm gonna keep trying to make a monopoly - hopefully the yellow ones...

Oh and it's chess.

'I'm taking it slow
feeding my flame
shuffling the cards of your game'

No comments: