Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The World You Love

Sept 06 - May 07. I spent one day a week in a practicum in Port Alberni in a grade 3 class. During my three week practicum it was determined that I wasn't fit to keep teaching. As with every student teacher, I got a review at the end which outlined my strengths and weaknesses. When I didn't make it through, I refused to read my review until 4 months later. Here are some highlights.

● Mike displayed a very limited number of teaching skills. With his limited skill set, his sponsor teacher, supervisor, and supporting supervisor were not surprised [with his failure].

● Mike appeared "tuned out" or preoccupied with other matter so that he was not truly "present" during some debriefing sessions.

● Mike showed little evidence of having sufficient background knowledge in content or teaching strategies.

● His sponsor teacher, supervisor, and supporting supervisor would hope that Mike seek counseling.

Whenever I need to be humbled, I open that review and read all about myself. There are four key points out of 2000 words or so that talk about my strengths. I find that it's very hard to read without getting angry and defensive. Very interesting imo. I like to point out the lies and inaccuracies in that review, and also target the shortcomings of the supervisor who wrote it. However, that's relatively petty of me when the review does present a number of valid points. Let me know if you want a copy of the review.

MW

'The gun's still smoking, blood still flowing, blown wide open'

No comments: