Saturday, November 29, 2008

Street Lights

First shift tonight. By the way, I'm now working at the 'VICC', or van isle conference center, as a banquet attendant. I'm chalking it up as "supplemental December income". It's just an evening/weekend thing.

So I go in to work, not knowing really what's up, just knowing that there's a couple big parties going on. I immediately get a package of HR stuff, and am promised a tour "later on". Riiight. Yeah it never came. Oh well.

I was assigned as a bartender in the lobby in between the two parties, one of 180, and the other of 75 people. Now I'm at a strange place. First, I've never bartended before. So I felt like setting my supervisor straight, just so I wouldn't be in an awkward position. The flip side is, is that I really felt like trying bartending out. So I just went with it. So I got my booze and headed to my bar. First things first, I couldn't figure out how to get behind the goddamn bar. Classic foreshadowing. I was half set up (because I was so slow figuring shit out), when I got absolutely slammed by an insta-line of 30-40 people. And there's just me. First guy - beer. Second guy - beer. Hey I got this.

Anyway, I had a great time, and I did so well that I'll be on the bar from now on. Go figure.

I'm supposed to work tomorrow with Jeff, but I'd love to have the day off. We'll see how she goes.

'Lost and loaded'

No comments: