Saturday, May 24, 2008

Come What(ever) May

That has a lot of meanings. I meant the month.

Back in Edmonton.

Spent the week getting trained in Red Deer. It was really helpful in that I started disassembling this puzzle of 'oil rigs'. After research, applying, orientation, and many months of build up, I still had no clue what a day on the rigs would look like. Seriously. It's been safety meetings since day one basically. I had to prompt someone so I could hear the word 'oil' get used after being employed for two weeks. Anyway, 1. pipe goes in drilled well; 2. Make sure oil comes up pipe; 3. empty well of all available oil; 4. move on to next hole. Apparently that sequence in pretty far down the priority chain of the biggest drilling company in world.

Umm, I'm actually in a bind. I have no home as of about 5 days from now. I am going to have to confirm whether Nabors can get me work in a camp, or relocate me. Otherwise I gotta find a camp job with another company. Pronto Tonto. Or it's home again, home again (jiggity jig).

Oh yeah. I got word that I'm graduating. Fuck. Yes. Now that might seem weird, because I finished school for good over a month ago. Anyway, I had some loose ends to tie up, and then I needed to confirm with administration that my Grad was a go-ahead. I had a few hiccups along the way, including last week's email that basically said "umm, no you aren't graduating". Well I did the run around like I do, and I have a degree.

The whole idea of Alberta was really solid in theory, but after a month here, I've accumulated debt, and not much else. I have a great job, but it's almost a tease if I have to leave in a week. IF I do leave and wind up going home next week, I think I'll break exactly even.

I'm so frustrated. Whatever.

Tomorrow I play a poker game online for 11$. First place is 20,000$. Please let me run hot like my kitchen faucet. Seriously though, it won't run cold.

'put your faith in more than steel'

No comments: