Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Denial Twist

What did you eat today?

As someone who is going to be an advocate of a healthy lifestyle for (hopefully) my entire career, I can't help but be wary of my own hypocritical diet. I think people consider weight management as an important aspect of health, but rather an appropriate diet is a more accurate approach to the intake part of a healthy lifestyle. I have no problem with weight management, so therefore I ignore the need for an appropriate diet. Wrong. So wrong. I plan to start to change that. Losing weight is an incomplete focus for people. Change your long term habits.

By the time I die, I will have eaten 50 tons of food. 50 tons. Well, that's average. I bet I'll be around 51. That consumes a really significant area of my life, my health, my time, and my money. I wonder what a ton of food costs, how much time it takes me to shop for it/eat it, and how sick I'd get if I ate the wrong ton of food.

I like having a mountain of information in my head on nutrition. I approach it pretty objectively. I decipher real, true information, and then let logical questions/concerns shape my approach to it.

I think a lot of people don't deal with this mountain of information well. I think people get bogged down with various issues in nutrition, and just figure, 'if everything causes cancer or is fattening, why bother?' I also think people take certain pieces of information, and run with it without asking those 'logical' questions or concerns. A friend of mine is a nutrition nut, but sometimes forgets to ask those common sense questions. As a result, this friend cut out several parts of his diet, and got really sick as a result. If all you live on is baked potatoes, your head is going to become one.

I don't really have a lesson or anything here. I feel fairly strongly about nutrition and it's role in regards to general health, and I also see the paradox that my own approach to eating creates. 'That's called a paradox' (- J. Nicholson). It's time I start listening to my own good advice.

'So I ran to the devil
He was waiting'

No comments: