Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pink Mist

Wow

I had a mixed bag of a day yesterday, then again today. Yesterday I had two classes, and both were great, but polar opposites. My first class was early and everyone was in spring break mode still. we had a neat discussion on everything and nothing at the same time, and landed on an interesting point. We're all sitting on a winning lottery ticket, and we don't realize it. When you look at the state of things in a wide scope, why even play the lotto? We've already won it.

My second class was a little different, but just as enlightening. I realized this year that I took history as a minor for this one course: The Holocaust. Yesterday I realized I took the course for one reason: Yesterday's Lecture. Everything you can't help but get intrigued by was touched on yesterday. There an interesting quote by Steven King about the Holocaust which was made evident yesterday.

"Maybe there is something about what the Germans did that exercises a deadly fascination over us - something that opens the catacombs of the imagination. Maybe part of our dread and horror comes from a secret knowledge that under the right - or wrong - set of circumstances, we ourselves would be willing to build such places and staff them. Black serendipity... Little men (that look like us) with graphs and flow-charts and electronic calculators, all ready to start maximizing the kill ratios."

Great lecture and discussion yesterday. Got into life, and really got into death. I almost laughed at the whole day.

'Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day'

No comments: